Attic ladders are retractable stairways that provide homeowners access to their attic space. They help residents move to and from the attic in a safe, quick, and convenient manner. When building this structure, it’s crucial to choose the right material.
So, which is better, an aluminum ladder or a wooden ladder? This article will discuss the pros and cons of each one to help you decide which suits your requirements. Read on to start building your dream attic.
Aluminum vs. Wood Attic Ladder
Aluminum Attic Ladders
Aluminum, a silvery-white metal, is one of the most abundant metals on earth and is the third most abundant element overall. It is most known for being lightweight.
Will it make a reliable ladder? Check out its pros and cons below.
- Sturdy and durable, yet lightweight
- Fire, rust, and rot-resistant
- Ideal for high-moisture areas
- Typically the most cost-effective option
- Conductor of heat and electricity
- Rungs are usually hollow
- Prone to bend under heavy pressure
- Creaks when stepped on
- Challenging to blend with interiors
Wood Attic Ladders
Wood is a fibrous material used in many applications. Like aluminum, it’s a popular building material. In fact, it’s the most widely used plant product in the world.
How will a wood attic ladder fare against an aluminum one? Learn about its pros and cons below.
- Naturally strong, sturdy, and durable
- Often has wider, more comfortable steps
- Unlikely to crack, even with daily use
- Does not conduct electricity when dry
- An affordable ladder options
- Bulkier and heavier than its aluminum counterpart
- May be affected by temperature changes
- Often has natural aesthetic defects
- May deteriorate if left unprotected against the elements
- Susceptible to rot and warp
So, which is better, an aluminum or wooden ladder?
While there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for any home, aluminum attic ladders are the overall better option. They are durable, lightweight, and resistant to fire, rust, and rot.
However, they unfortunately conduct heat and electricity. If you have to build your ladder near electrical hazards or hot environments, wooden attic ladders would be your best bet.
For more information on the best attic ladders, we recommend checking out our favorite products. Our team has aggregated the absolute best attic ladders available (including wood and aluminum options) to save you time and money.