The Honeywell Lyric T5 smart thermostat offers features like mobile app control and climate scheduling, in addition to advanced features like geofencing (shutting down or adjusting the heating or cooling when you are not at home).
This thermostat also integrates with a lot of home ecosystems. It is an improvement over the older Lyric T3 model and is one of the best Nest alternatives.
One advantage of the Honeywell T5 thermostat is its low price. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key features it offers so you can decide whether it would be a good choice for your home.
Attics and More is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat Advantages
- Cheap price compared to similar models
- Flexible scheduling options
- Easy installation and setup
- Nice mobile app
- Works with Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa
- Smart alerts
- Geofencing features including multiuser support
Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat Disadvantages
- Needs a C-wire
- No motion or humidity sensors
- No energy usage reporting
- Design maybe seem dull-looking to some
This thermostat uses the GPS location on your mobile device to see if you are at home or not. You will have to connect the Lyric T5 to the Honeywell Lyric mobile app to use this feature.
After setting it up, the energy consumption will be reduced if you are not at home and ensure the perfect temperature when you get back.
It is possible to set this feature up for more than one person, with each user creating a Lyric app account and adding it to their smartphone.
If more than one person is using the app, the last person to leave the house will trigger the away setting and the first one back will switch it back to the comfort setting.
There are various ways you can control your home climate using the Lyric T5 thermostat:
- Location-based: The thermostat uses the location of your mobile device to determine whether you are home or not. When you are out, it switches over to the energy-saving mode.
When you are on the way home, it will switch on the cooling or heating system to ensure the climate is at your chosen comfort temperature.
You also have the option of manually switching between the home and away modes on the mobile app or thermostat.
- Time-based: You can choose to set the week’s climate schedule. Pick from 3 different options to set the timing, either Monday to Sunday, Monday to Friday and the weekend, or each day individually.
- Smart: This is a combination of location-based and time-based scheduling. The thermostat works according to the schedule you set but if the machine senses you are still at home while the program is set to away, it overrides the location-based setting to maintain the comfort level in your home.
- None: If you prefer a full manual mode, it is possible to adjust the climate manually using either the smartphone app or the thermostat itself.
The display on the Lyric T5 smart thermostat is big, bright, touch-enabled, and motion-activated, making it a substantial improvement over the previous Honeywell Lyric T3 model.
The display on the Lyric T5 includes plenty of data such as time, set temperature point, current indoor temperature, primary menu options menu, and mode and fan options.
You can use the display to control the thermostat, although it is simpler to set features such as geofencing and schedules using the Lyric mobile app.
In order to set up the mobile app, just connect the thermostat to your home’s Wi-Fi network and install the iOS or Android app to set up an account.
Smart Climate Control
There is a Smart Response feature on the Honeywell Lyric T5 smart thermostat which means it can begin the cooling or heating system slightly earlier when changing to comfort mode from the energy-saving mode. This ensures the temperature is at the chosen point at a scheduled time.
This intelligent comfort control feature allows the Lyric T5 thermostat to recognize whether the house should be cooled or heated to offer reach the set indoor temperature and achieve the best comfort.
Smart alerts are a nice feature to have on a thermostat. These send you a reminder when it is time to maintain your cooling and heating system, such as when it’s time to change your HVAC system filter.
The thermostat will also alert you if it recognizes unusual conditions such as an unusually high temperature indoors.
You can choose to receive these reminders and alerts to your smartphone or email as push notifications, so you are notified immediately. You will also see these warnings on the thermostat display as one of the default options.
Smart Home Ecosystem Integration
This thermostat is compatible with a variety of popular smart home ecosystems such as Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, and Google Home. This will allow you to control the thermostat along with your other home devices.
For even more integration, you can pair your Lyric T5 with IFTTT. This is a home automation language which many other popular systems and devices use.
This will let you connect several devices and have them communicate with one another. For example, when someone is at your front door it will switch on the smart lights.
What is Not So Good?
Considering this is a budget thermostat when compared to others on the market, it does not have every feature you might want.
These are some of the things we did not like so much:
- Not the Most Exciting Display: The rather conservative look of the thermostat design might make it unappealing to some users, especially when compared to Ecobee or Nest smart thermostats. Unless you’re hoping to make a special statement with your thermostat, this should not be too much of an issue.
- No Energy Consumption Reports: You will not be able to follow how your cooling and heating system’s performance. There is no web portal access to review the thermostat status and settings or to control it.
- No Motion or Humidity Sensors: The Lyric T5 thermostat cannot connect to remote sensors like the ecobee thermostat can. In addition, geofencing is used rather than motion sensors so it can recognize whether or not you are at home. Considering the T5 is a budget thermostat, this should not be a surprise.
- Requires C-Wire: You need C-Wire for the Honeywell Lyric T5 thermostat which means you should have one before purchasing the thermostat. If you do not have one, you will either have to return the T5 thermostat or install C-Wire which might be expensive since you need an electrician to install it. This thermostat does not support 120-240V electric baseboard heating units either.
Ease of T5 Thermostat Installation
The Lyric T5 is not Honeywell’s first thermostat, since they have been producing them for a while. This experience has allowed them to streamline the installation process.
Even if you are not experienced at installing or setting up devices, you should find the installation simple.
You do need to have C-Wire installed to power up the Lyric T5 though and there are no alternatives for this. If you don’t have C-Wire then the T5 might not be the best choice for your home.
Overall, most users report that the Honeywell installation instructions are simple to follow.
Cooling and Heating System Compatibility
There are some possible compatibility issues with the Honeywell Lyric T5 smart thermostat. It works well with most 24-volt air conditioning, heating and heat pump systems.
The Lyric T5 does need C-Wire (24 VAC power) to work and there are no workaround options for this.
The T5 thermometer will not work with 120-240V electric baseboard heating units. In addition, it will not work with multi-volt cooling and heating systems.
If you are looking for a smart Wi-Fi thermostat which isn’t going to cost the Earth, the Honeywell Lyric T5 smart thermostat might fit the bill perfectly. It costs nearly half of what you would have to pay for a Nest or ecobee budget version.
The T5 thermostat offers a geofencing feature as well as flexible options for temperature scheduling to ensure the perfect home climate is reached when you are home and energy savings are enabled when you are away from home.
The smart response feature makes sure the temperature is at the set point when someone returns to the house or at a scheduled time.
This thermostat may also be integrated with a variety of smart home ecosystems including Samsung SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa.
This thermostat offers a nice balance between smart features and price point and is a good option if you want to upgrade a conventional thermostat.
Before buying and installing the Honeywell Lyric T5 smart thermostat, ensure you have a C-Wire already installed, else you might have to pay an electrician to install C-Wire.