The Atticsandmore.com team has compiled a guide to the best roofing companies in San Diego. So, if you’re researching top-tier roofing contractors in your area before requesting quotes, you’ve come to the right place.
Although you have numerous choices for roofing contractors in San Diego, the companies on this list performed the best in our proprietary, 60-point vetting process—after putting numerous companies in the area to the test, the five companies below outshined their competition.
Let’s break down everything you need to know about San Diego’s best roofing services providers.
Top San Diego, CA Roofing Companies
Based on our experience, research, and public reviews, here are the top San Diego roofing contractors:
- TR Construction - visit website
- RM Roofing Inc - visit website
- Roofing Specialists of San Diego - visit website
- Peak Builders & Roofers of San Diego - visit website
- Flash Roofing - visit website
Another San Diego construction industry veteran, TR Construction, has been providing various construction services (including roofing) to the San Diego area for over 27 years.
In addition to roofing, the company’s services also include:
- Solar panel installation or replacement
- Casita/ADU construction
But, it’s important to note that TR Construction appears to only serve residential properties.
The brand offers customized warranties unique to every project, and each client is assigned a dedicated office coordinator—a direct contact who can answer any questions throughout the project. The company values its employees, and its website emphasizes quality training and career growth for workers.
Perhaps the most attractive feature of TR Construction is its interdisciplinary staff. If you’re working on a residential remodel or a multi-stage project, TR Construction can provide services spanning multiple trades (not just roofing).
- Availability: 8:30 am – 4 pm Monday through Friday, with weekend email monitoring
- Booking options: Phone, email, and contact form
- Service area: San Diego County (including North County)
Pros and Cons of TR Construction
Before you commit to a San Diego roofing contractor, consider the advantages and disadvantages of each brand on your shortlist. Consider the following pros and cons specific to TR Construction.
- Has a long-standing, trusted reputation
- BBB accreditation and A+ rating as of 11/14/2022
- One-stop shop for multi-stage projects
- Availability may not be ideal for clients working traditional business hours
- Residential-only—commercial clients should explore other roofing company options in the area
Request a free quote by calling TR Construction, sending them an email, or completing a contact form.
RM Roofing Inc. is one of five San Diego roofers that performed highly during our 60-point vetting process, and a cursory glance at their website will show you why.
Serving San Diego for over 15 years, RM Roofing Inc. is family-owned and operated, offers services in both English and Spanish, and emphasizes timely, high-quality services.
The company offers residential, commercial, and industrial roofing services, including:
- Roofing installation and replacement
- Emergency repairs
- Roofing inspections
They also specialize in a variety of roofing materials, like:
- Torch down
RM’s commitment to job site safety and high-quality training sets it apart from the competition. They have a dedicated safety coordinator on staff, and the team is always up-to-date on critical safety trainings (including CPR).
And, if you prefer to work with small businesses, RM Roofing is the company for you—each member of its eight-person team is experienced, credentialed, and knowledgeable.
- Availability: 8 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday
- Booking options: Phone, email, and contact form
- Service area: Chula Vista and surrounding areas
Pros and Cons of RM Roofing Inc.
We’ve noted some potential pros and cons of working with RM Roofing below.
- Offers commercial, residential, and industrial roofing services
- Closely follows COVID-19 and other safety protocols
- BBB-accredited since 2018 with an A+ rating
- 8 am – 5 pm weekday availability might not be ideal for clients at work during those hours
- The team is small, so the company could develop a backlog/waiting list during busy seasons
If you’re interested in learning more about RM Roofing Inc. or requesting a quote, complete a contact form or call the office.
Roofing Specialists of San Diego is a long-standing roofing contractor in southern California—the company has been in business since 2002 and offers both residential and commercial roofing services.
If you’re looking for a provider with deep roots in San Diego, look no further. Company owner Eric Richardson is a third-generation San Diegan who spent his teen years working on roofing crews in the area, and he’s personally involved in every project.
According to their website, the company’s business model centers around “quality work and fair prices.” They emphasize exceeding industry standards for quality and service and offer free estimates.
Roofing Specialists of San Diego handle roof installation, replacement, repair, and inspection services.
- Availability: 8 am – 5 pm Monday through Saturday
- Booking options: Phone or contact form
- Service area: San Diego County
Pros and Cons of Roofing Specialists of San Diego
Explore some of the benefits and drawbacks of working with Roofing Specialists of San Diego below.
- Has a long history of service in the San Diego area
- Offers both commercial and residential services
- Offers multiple financing options for homeowners and businesses
- Availability on Saturdays, but hours are limited—clients with 8 am – 5 pm work schedules might not have the availability to work with this company
- Online portfolio showcases mostly residential projects (commercial clients should ask for additional references during the research process)
Contact Roofing Specialists of San Diego to request a project estimate or schedule a consultation.
Peak Builders & Roofers is one of the best roofing contractors doing business in San Diego, CA today. If you’re looking for a proven track record in the roofing industry, Peak Builders & Roofers delivers—they’ve completed over 1,200 projects in the last ten years alone.
The company has the expertise to tackle both residential and commercial projects, and its service area includes every city in San Diego County, from Poway to Chula Vista. No matter where you are in the county, Peak Builders can take on your project.
Peak Builders is an interdisciplinary brand, which might appeal to you if you’re working on a multi-stage renovation project. They offer both interior remodeling and exterior renovation services (including roofing), and their in-house team includes residential architects. So, if you choose Peak Builders for your roof replacement or remodel, you can be confident that any design changes will be developed by a licensed design professional.
- Availability: 9 am – 7 pm Monday through Thursday, 9 am – 5 pm Friday
- Booking options: Phone, email, or contact form
- Service area: San Diego County
Pros and Cons of Peak Builders & Roofers of San Diego
While Peak Builders & Roofers performed well in our rigorous vetting process, you should still carefully weigh the advantages and disadvantages of working with this brand.
- Has a wide service area—you can add this contractor to your shortlist even if you’re outside of San Diego city limits
- Has an informative website, complete with a detailed page discussing roofing replacement
- Offers warranties ranging from 10 to 50 years (based upon the roofing materials you choose)
- Might rack up a backlog, since Peak Builders offers numerous services (not just roofing)
- Website doesn’t specifically mention emergency roofing repairs—if you’re trying to fix a leak outside of normal business hours, Peak Builders may not provide that service
Request a quote or schedule a consultation with Peak Builders & Roofers of San Diego on their website.
Flash Roofing is a trusted roofing contractor in San Diego. Headquartered in Rancho Santa Fe, Flash Roofing’s location makes them an excellent choice for homeowners living in northern San Diego County.
As a roofing-specific contractor, Flash Roofing offers numerous roof-related services, including:
- Roof replacement
- Solar panel installation, replacement, or removal
- Certified roofing inspections
- Roof cleaning and repair
- Skylight replacement
- Vent replacement
If you’re looking for a California roofing company with a rock-solid reputation, Flash Roofing delivers—they currently have over 360 Google reviews and an average 4.9-star rating.
The company website specifically mentions its “comprehensive approach” to roofing, its ability to accommodate government agencies (like local building departments), and its track record of successful coordination with subcontractors on multi-stage projects.
- Availability: 9 am – 10 pm Monday through Saturday
- Booking options: Phone, text, or contact form
- Service area: San Diego and surrounding area
Pros and Cons of Flash Roofing
Let’s break down some important pros and cons you should expect when working with Flash Roofing.
- Extended hours provide ample availability for consultations, inspections, and other appointments—a plus for clients working normal business hours
- Exclusively uses Owen Corning shingles, a high-quality supplier in the roofing industry
- Offers multiple warranty programs with varying timelines
- Doesn’t appear to offer commercial roofing services—business owners may need to choose a different brand
- Service area may not include the entirety of San Diego County (the company’s website is unclear about the cities they serve)
To request a quote, contact Flash Roofing today!
5 Things to Consider When Shopping for Roofing Contractors in San Diego
Choosing a roofing contractor can be stressful—or, if you’ve never worked with a roofer, even intimidating.
As you research the industry in San Diego, keep these important considerations in mind:
- A brand’s service area: San Diego County is big, and not all of the roofing contractors on this list specifically mention a county-wide service area. Make sure your contractor of choice has experience working in your specific neighborhood.
- Licenses and insurance: Roofing contractors are licensed professionals—before signing a contract, make sure the company license holder’s credentials are up to date. In addition, make sure that your contractor of choice carries general liability, automobile, and worker’s compensation insurance (at minimum).
- Research materials: Each roofing contractor uses their own materials, and some companies are even certified to install a specific product brand. Whether your chosen contractor uses only one material brand or offers numerous options, independently research the products they intend to use and ensure that they meet your standards.
- Ask for an expiration date for your estimate: Prices of building materials can fluctuate (especially in an economy facing supply chain and logistics challenges). When contractors provide quotes, make sure that each estimate features an expiration date, and do your best to accept or reject estimates within the allotted time window.
- Request references: While Google reviews are helpful, they don’t always give clients the full picture of what they can expect from a contractor. Ask the contractor directly for references from past clients (and ask about how they’ve handled less-than-deal project outcomes).
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to replace a roof in San Diego?
The cost of a roof replacement depends on a variety of factors:
- The size of the roof: In most cases, larger roofs are more expensive to replace than smaller roofs.
- Unique roof accessories and features: Are you interested in installing skylights, solar panels, or gutters/crickets? Expect to spend more on these and other nonstandard items in a roof system.
- Roofing design: Are you looking for a roof with design elements like dormers or closed/box eaves? Are you interested in switching from a hot roof to a cold roof? Each specific roof design carries additional cost considerations (e.g., dormers require additional framing, window, underlayment, and surface materials).
- Material choice: You have numerous options for roofing materials—asphalt shingles, metal, tile, gravel, and more. While asphalt shingles are typically the least expensive roofing material on the market, ask your contractor about material options that fit your budget.
How long do roofs last in San Diego?
The lifespan of a roof depends on a few major factors, including:
- Local climate and weather conditions
- Roof design
- Maintenance frequency and quality
- Quality of materials
San Diego weather is very mild, featuring low-to-moderate rainfall, infrequent high winds, and limited temperature fluctuations. So, San Diego roofs are unlikely to be drastically impacted by weather conditions.
The rest of the factors above, of course, aren’t exclusive to the San Diego area. But you can ensure your roof’s longevity by:
- Choosing a high-quality contractor with a track record of industry-standard (or above) installation practices
- Selecting the highest possible quality materials in your budget (a roofing company can help you choose, but remember to supplement their suggestions with your own product research)
- Committing to consistent maintenance on your roof—pressure washing, replacing sealant products as they age, and replacing broken or lost shingles are just a few examples of preventative maintenance
How do you install a new roof?
Professional roofing contractors generally follow a stepwise procedure when completely replacing a roof:
- Demolishing the old roof: Depending on the scope of the project (and the condition of the existing roof), contractors may remove only the surfacing materials (e.g., shingles, sealant, underlayments), or they may demo the entire roof system (including the decking and trusses).
- Cleaning the decking: If roofing contractors leave the trusses and roof deck intact, they must clean these surfaces before installing new materials. Creating a clean surface ensures that the replacement materials will properly adhere to the deck.
- Rolling out underlayment and installing surface materials: Once the deck is clean, roofing contractors roll out underlayment material, which protects the wooden roof deck from water and debris: Surface materials (e.g., asphalt shingles, tiles, or metal) are installed on top of the underlayment material and attached to the deck with specialized hardware.
- Sealing: Roofing contractors use various sealant products for waterproofing, and these materials are crucial—they protect your home’s interior and exterior components from water infiltration and damage.
What is the most common roofing material in San Diego?
In San Diego and throughout the entire US, asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material in residential applications. Asphalt shingles are:
- Easy to install
- Available in a variety of colors and shapes
And, while an asphalt shingle roofing system can last for decades, newer roofing technologies like aluminum panels offer increased longevity—metal and tile roofs are growing in popularity, but they still haven’t eclipsed traditional asphalt shingle roofs.
Our System for Rating and Reviewing the Best Roofing Companies
We evaluate each company we feature using our proprietary review matrix, which includes 60 elements we identified as the most important to consumers when they’re choosing a roofing contractor. These factors include the following items:
- Available business hours
- Business history
- Consumer reputation and feedback
- Discounts and promotions offered
- Industry acknowledgments
- Services provided
- Social media presence
- Warranties and insurance
- Website quality
Each category is broken down into specific elements, which further hone in on the strengths and weaknesses of each provider. We use this review matrix to identify each company’s best features and where they should rank on our pages. Because shopping for home service providers can be tedious and time-consuming, we aim to streamline your decision-making process by helping you find local, licensed, and trustworthy roofing contractors near you.
We constantly add new providers to our reviews and update our articles to reflect the best providers. Ultimately, we aim to provide you with the most up-to-date and trustworthy reviews you can count on. We will continue to iterate on our review system as we identify more customer pain points and other factors that may influence your choice of roofing contractors.
Explore More California Roofing Companies
We are constantly evaluating new areas and the best roofing companies to help us market our products and services. We also pride ourselves on being able to share our findings with the public to make the process of finding and hiring a roofer a little easier.
Many of the companies that we list have successfully grown to service multiple locations across the State. Browse more of the best California roofing companies to see how the results vary from city to city:
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Ana
- Santa Barbara
Are You a Roofer in San Diego?
Are you a roofer in San Diego? Looking for ways to get more exposure and generate qualified leads for your roofing business? Want to diversify your digital marketing strategy without the hassle?
At Attics and More, we offer a unique LIMITED opportunity for select San Diego roofing companies to increase brand exposure, boost credibility, and generate more leads and sales.