A tape measure is one of those tools that every construction worker needs in their toolbelt. While any tape measure can get the job done, using the right tape measure can make a job easier.
In the below article, we’ll share our personal favorite tape measures based on our research and personal experience.
Best Tape Measures
Our picks for the best tape measures include:
- Craftsman Tape Measure
- Stanley PowerLock II Professional Tape Measure
- Stanley FATMAX 30 Foot Tape Measure
- FastCap PSSR FastPad Standard Reverse Measuring Tape
- Hyggein Laser Tape Measure 2-in-1
Attics and More is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
With options available in 16, 25, and 30-feet lengths, the Craftsman Tape Measure is a top pick for roofers, contractors, and hobbyists alike.
What this tape measure has that makes it such a popular choice is the little things. Features like a rubber over-mold for better grip, a crisp white tape, and a solid metal edge perfect for hooking onto things while measuring.
It’s also super durable because of the rubber coating on the outside and the blade coating designed to extend the life of your tape measure.
- Rubber over-mold for added grip
- White tape for a clean look
- Durable blade coating
- 3 different length options
- Only has inch markings
- Faulty locks on some units
Stanley has long been a well-respected name in the tool industry, and their tape measure is, unsurprisingly, one of the best available.
The Stanley PowerLock II Professional Tape Measure has everything anyone could want from a tape measure. It has 25 feet in length and is one inch wide, making it a great size to measure anything.
The easy-reach blade remains rigid up to 8 feet and the heat-treated spring gives it a longer lifespan.
- Heat-treated spring to lengthen lifespan
- Easy-reach blade remains rigid up to 8 feet
- Tape coated with Mylar polyester film for added durability
- Bright yellow for readability
- Some received units with faded numbers
- Some claim quality has gone down recently
If you need a tape measure that will last you forever and one that has plenty of length, check out the Stanley FATMAX 30 Foot Tape Measure.
This industrious tape measure has a durable high-impact case that makes it perfect for use on job sites where there’s a risk of dropping it from a significant height. The rubber coating on the case helps it stay put and prevent slipping.
It features an 11-inch tape standout with 16-inch and 19.2-inch stud center markings designed to simplify framing jobs. The added Blade Armor coating also adds to the durability of this tape measure at the hook.
- 30 feet in length
- 11-inch tape standout with 16-inch and 19.2-inch stud center markings designed to simplify framing jobs
- Blade Armor coating for durability at the hook
- Rubber high-impact case for durability
- Blade hook is not exposed making hooking onto things difficult
Our budget pick for tape measures is this FastCap PSSR FastPad Standard Reverse Measuring Tape.
At under $10, this tape measure is a bit unique. Not only does it have the standard 16 feet of length with a locking mechanism, but it also features an erasable notepad on the side so that you can keep track of measurements right on the device itself. It also has a built-in pencil sharpener.
The numbers on it are easy to read, including fractions up to 1/16th of an inch for precision.
- Erasable notepad
- Fractions up to 1/16th of an inch
- Built-in pencil sharpener
- A bit bulky
- Slightly inaccurate
If you want a tape measure that comes with all of the bells and whistles, this Hyggein Laser Tape Measure 2-in-1 is for you.
As the name suggests, this tape measure comes with a traditional metal tape measure in addition to a laser tape measure.
The traditional tape measure can measure up to 16 feet and comes with a locking feature, a metal hook, and a nylon coating for durability.
The laser feature can measure up to 131 feet and the measurements can easily be read on the LCD digital display. It’s USB rechargeable so you can easily use this hybrid tape measure without purchasing and changing out the batteries.
- Includes laser tape measure to measure up to 131 feet
- USB-rechargeable for convenience
- LCD digital display makes reading measurements easy
- Hybrid tape measure includes traditional manual tape measure as well
- The priciest choice on this list
- Learning curve when it comes to the laser feature
What Is a Tape Measure?
A tape measure is a device that has a long flexible tape that retracts into a plastic or metal housing.
It’s useful for all sorts of projects because it gives you the ability to make exact measurements with a compact unit.
Most tape measures that are used in roofing and construction are stiff and retractable, with locks in place that can keep the length of your tape measure in place while leaving your hands free.
Are Tape Measures Worth It?
In construction jobs, it’s important that your measurements are precise and accurate.
A quality tape measure is the best way to ensure that your tape measure will last you through all of your jobs and give you easy-to-read, clear numbers and markings.
More Roofing Tools and Equipment
We’ve used our industry expertise, partnerships, and analysis to find the absolute best roofing tools and equipment online. If you liked this post on the best roofing shoes, consider checking out some of our other guides to find top products.
- Roofing CRM Software – Read guide
- Roofing Hammers – Read guide
- Roofing Harnesses – Read guide
- Roofing Nail Guns – Read guide
- Roofing Shoes – Read guide
- Solar Powered Attic Fans – Read guide
- Work Gloves – Read guide
- Hard Hats – Read guide
- Safety Goggles – Read guide
Whether you’re a contractor or a homeowner, a quality tape measure is needed when you need to take accurate measurements. Try one of these tape measures for your next project.